Sunday, June 27, 2010

A river runs through




As I currently sit here, it is 3 am and there is a crew of men doing demolition to my newly remodeled home. One day, this will be quite a story to tell people. It doesn't seem that funny now, in fact, quite the opposite...pretty much downright unnerving. This home that we've worked so hard for, though small and seemingly insignificant to many people, is like my baby. And tonight, I realized just how truly important it is to me.

At 10 pm I put a load of laundry going, then proceeded to my bedroom to read, thinking it was turning out to be a rare early night for me. At 11 pm, Xander woke up and I fed him. I noticed what sounded like water running, but thinking it was just the fan in the other room, I ignored it. After putting the baby back to bed, I decided to further investigate the source of the sound as it turned out it wasn't the fan. I stumbled into my kitchen and screamed in horror at the sight of my floor flooded in an inch deep of active, moving, flowing water! Alerting Tyler, I bolted into the laundry room to find the washer machine gushing like a fountain. The shut off valve (or something along those lines) had malfunctioned and was wreaking havoc upon our floor.

This initial response was something akin to the experience of a car accident. You're not logical, you simply react. You don't weigh and measure, you conclude and decide. And fast! Grabbing as many towels as we could muster, Tyler and I spent the next half hour mopping and wiping, hyperventilating (me) and crying (me again). I was overcome with dejavu from when I was a young girl racing around the house holding my little sister who was covered in blood from a fall off a water slide. Panic. Just sheer panic at it's finest. Kind of a "headless chicken" type of response, actually :) But my husband has the most amazing strength in the face of the most stress, and his demeanor got me back in control. He could look a charging bull in the face and make a decision, I swear! Anyway, he kept reminding me, "keep worshipping God through this. You can do it. He loves us. We love Him. Remember the words to the song we sang at our wedding? 'You give and take away. You give and take away. My heart will choose to say, 'Lord, blessed be Your name!' Let's keep blessing him, Love." I just adore that man! Immediately, I could feel the peace come over me when I turned the attention from the scary task at hand to the fact that God has such greater plans than what was happening at that moment. Geez! It's just a water spill, right? :/

After wiping up the biggest puddles, we called to make an insurance claim, knowing that most of our floors were ruined. The restoration team came out within an hour and began the process of tearing out floors, drilling holes in walls to air out the inside, and moving appliances in and out. They're gone now, and half my floors are ripped out. Along with that, there are giant blue fans and dehumidifiers riddled all over the house. Ah, what a night!

As Tyler and I sat discussing the matter, we came to the conclusion that for whatever reason, God allowed this to happen NOW, at this point in our lives. At this moment when we're strapped to the bone, wondering how our future is going to look. And yet, we can say with the utmost certainty, now is the best time for this to have happened. It couldn't have happened any better way. We were caught off-guard, like most people in this kind of situation are, but for whatever reason, there were a lot of things that were put in place to prepare us for this. For example, 3 weeks ago, we had another small water leak and had to rip up the carpet in our closet. I've been trying to get that project completed so we could put the carpet back down. If we had replaced the carpet, we would have gone through all that trouble just to tear it back up again, as tonight's water leak seeped through the walls and into the closet. God plan? Absolutely! Also, it happened on a weekend, when I have Tyler home to help me, rather than in the middle of the week where I would have been left to handle it solo. In addition, our kids were asleep, which meant no distractions while we conquered the mess. And lastly, we were at home! Can you imagine the disaster that would have ensued, had we been gone, or outside? Ahhhh! Basically, all this to say, even though this is sad and disconcerting for me in so many ways, God keeps reminding me that it could always be worse. It's really not as frightening as it seems. It's ok for me to be scared, but I don't have to be stuck there.

So Lord, I just thank you that you remind me daily of what a wonderful life I live. I'm so thankful for all the little things, like a shed to store all the stuff we had to remove, or a clothes line to hang all the wet towels. But I also know that it's ok to ask for things that I need. So Lord, I ask for a new washer machine...cuz there's no way I'm running that thing again!

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! Thank God for insurance hey? And yes, keep on praising Him 'cuz He sure knows what's going on! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh friends! I am praying with and for you! It is not always easy trusting the Lord, but you are right when you say He has a plan for all of it! In the end something beautiful will come of this trial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can only imagine how unnerving that was. Praise the Lord for Tyler's wisdom and your quick actions. Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete